COMMUNITY ACTION NETWORK COVID-19 WEEKLY UPDATE
Join Community Action National Partners CAP, CAPLAW and NASCSP for a weekly update on the impact of COVID-19 on the network, taking place every Thursday at 3 ET / 2 CT / 1 MT / 12 PT (3 AST / 10 AKST / 9 HST). NCAF will participate as schedules allow.
STATEMENT FROM THE PARTNERSHIP
In response to the coronavirus (COVID-19), the Community Action Partnership is reaffirming the recommended safety measures for the Community Action network provided by Community Action Program Legal Services (CAPLAW), as well as guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the World Health Organization (WHO). The wellbeing of our members and their customers continues to be our paramount concern.
In addition, the Partnership recognizes that any national crisis always hits the families Community Action serves the hardest. We also recognize that local Community Action Agencies will face their own challenges in terms of responding to this crisis. Unlike some organizations that can adapt to staff working remotely or changing their work environment, Community Action can only be effective when we are IN the community, particularly those communities where there are fewer resources to adapt to a rapidly changing environment.
The Partnership is working with the National Partners, State Associations, non-profit leaders, and with local CAA’s to learn how we can respond effectively to the changing environment. We have daily conversations with members across the network about their concerns, their questions and their strategies for continuing our work.
As the situation continues to evolve we will continue to monitor updates accordingly.
CAP's Message to the Community Action Network
Guidance from CAPLAW on Managing Coronavirus Risks
- Managing Coronavirus Risks: What the Community Action Network Should Think About (Issued March 5): In light of the increasing numbers of confirmed cases of coronavirus (COVID-19), CAPLAW has provided guidance for the Community Action network that addresses the following issues: managing employees, providing services, planning events.
- Coronavirus Updates for the Community Action Network (Posted March 9): This resource page includes upcoming webinars, information, and guidance for Community Action Agencies and Head Start programs for managing coronavirus risks.
CSBG Dear Colleague Letters & Guidance from ACF
- CSBG IM 2020-157 Immediate Guidance on COVID-19 Response (Issued April 13)
- CSBG Dear Colleague Letter on ACF Administrative Flexibilities for Grantees Affected by COVID-19 (Issued March 31)
- CSBG Dear Collegue Letter (Issued March 12): The Office of Community Services has released a Dear Colleague Letter to the Community Services Block Grant (CSBG) Network providing a roundup of coronavirus-related information on funding and guidance released by various divisions within the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS). We encourage you to explore these resources as necessary to respond to the situation in your communities.
Coronavirus Response Legislation
Phase 1 – The Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act
- The Coronavirus Preparedness and Response Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2020 (Posted March 23)
- CPRSA – Title-by-Title Summary (Posted March 23)
Phase 2 – The Families First Coronavirus Response Act
- Families First Coronavirus Response Act (Posted March 23)
- FFCRA – Title-by-Title Summary (Posted March 23)
- CAPLAW Guidance on Paid Leave Provisions of FFCRA (Posted March 23)
Phase 3 – The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act
- The Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security (CARES) Act (Posted April 2)
- CARES Act – Title-by-Title Summary (Posted April 2)
Phase 3.5 – Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act
- The Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act (Posted April 23)
- The Paycheck Protection Program and Health Care Enhancement Act – Partnership Section-by-Section (Posted April 23)
Community Action Partnership Fact Sheets:
- Coronavirus Legislation – Community Services Fact Sheet (Updated April 6)
- Coronavirus Legislation – Nonprofits as Employers Fact Sheet (Posted April 2)
Paid Leave Resources
- COVID-19, Paid Leave, and Unemployment Flow Chart (Posted April 13)
- IRS Issues Guidance on Claiming Credit for Paid Leave (Issued April 1)
- Coronavirus and Paid Leave (March 30): The latest information about the availability of paid family and medical leave.
- Coronavirus Paid Family & Medical Leave (PFML) Toolkit (March 30): This toolkit contains sample language and images related to coronavirus and PFML.
Weatherization & LIHEAP
- LIHEAP Dear Colleague Letter (Issued March 31)
- LIHEAP Dear Colleague Letter: Partnership to Address the Spread of COVID-19 (March 12)
- WAP Frequently Asked Questions Related to COVID-19 (Issued March 25): Guidance from the Department of Energy on COVID-19 related issues.
- Online Training Offerings (Posted March 24)
- Joint Statement from (CAP, NCAF, NASCSP) on Weatherization and Coronavirus (Issued March 19)
- National Consumer Law Center’s COVID-19 Resources Page (Posted April 27): Scroll down to “Utilities and Bridging the Digital Divide” for resources related to utilities.
National Head Start Association Resources
Resources to Support Head Start Children and Families (Posted March 16)
Office of Head Start Resources
At Home Learning Resources
- Non-Filers: Enter Payment Information Here (Posted April 13): This IRS portal allows non-filers to enter their direct deposit information in order to avoid the need for paper checks.
Housing and Urban Development (HUD) Resources
- COVID-19 Information & Resources (Posted Macrh 13)
- Quick Guide to CDBG Eligible Activities to Support Infectious Disease Response (Issued March 13)
COVID-19 and Americorps
- COVID-19 Frequently Asked Questions for Americorps Programs (Posted March 12)
Information & Resources from the Centers for Disease Control
- Recommendation Regarding the Use of Cloth Face Coverings (Posted April 8)
- Use of Cloth Face Coverings to Help Slow the Spread of COVID-19 (Posted April 8)
- Communication Resources (Posted March 13): Free resources including video, fact sheets and posters
- Interim Guidance for Administrators of US K-12 Schools and Childcare Programs (Revised March 12)
- Framework for Mitigation (Issued March 11)
- Workplace, School, and Home Guidance (Issued March 11)
- Interim Guidance for Homeless Service Providers to Plan and Respond to Coronavirus Disease (Issued March 10)
- Preventing COVID-19 Spread in Communities (Issued March 7): How to prepare and take action for coronavirus at home, work, healthcare settings and more
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (Posted March 5): Situation updates and general information about coronavirus such as how it spreads, symptoms and prevention measures
- Eligible ESG Program Costs for Effective Disease Preparedness (Issued March 5): Measures to reduce spread of disease among people in emergency shelters
- Interim Guidance on Mass Gatherings (Issued March 3): Safety measures for mass gatherings or large community events based on what is currently known about COVID-19
Information & Resources from the World Health Organization
- Coronavirus Disease 2019 (Posted March 9): Information & guidance from the World Health Organization (WHO) regarding the current outbreak of coronavirus disease (COVID-19)
- Coronavirus Questions & Answers (Issued March 9): Answers to frequently asked questions about COVID-19
- Coronavirus Situation Dashboard (Posted March 9): The latest data on the confirmed number and whereabouts of COVID-19 cases throughout the world
American Public Human Services Association (APHSA) Resources
- Policy Levers for State Human Service Agencies in Response to COVID-19 (Updated April 6)
Nonprofits and Coronavirus
- COVID-19 Relief & Economic Stimulus Package (Issued March 18)
- Campaign Urges Congress to Include Emergency Assistance Fund in Coronavirus Response (Issued March 12)
- Nonprofits and Coronavirus (Posted March 12): Guidance from the National Council of Nonprofits on what coronavirus means for nonprofits and what steps should be taken
- Why Nonprofits Must Be Included in a COVID-19 Relief and Economic Stimulus Package (Posted March 12)
US Chamber of Commerce
Coronavirus Emergency Loans (Posted March 31): A small business guide and checklist.
USDA Food & Nutrition Service Program Guidance
- FNS Program Guidance on Human Pandemic Response (March 16): Important guidance related to FNS nutrition assistance programs
Remote Work Resources
- Five Essential Tools for Your Remote Toolkit (Posted April 1)
- Thinking Outside the Inbox (Posted April 1)
- Ten Best Free Video Conferencing Tools (Posted April 1)
- Best Paid and Free Video Conferencing Software (Posted April 1)
- The Ultimate Guide to Free Video Conferencing & Collaboration (Posted April 1)
- 32 Free Remote Work Tools to Help You Work from Home (Posted April 1)
Community Needs Assessment COVID 19 Update Template
This Community Needs Assessment template is intended for use by local Community Action Agencies (CAAs) as an addendum to their full Community Needs Assessment in response to the COVID-19 global health pandemic.
Tribal Resource Center
Testing & Contact Tracing
- Community Action Plan for COVID-19 Testing and Contact Tracing
- Steps a Community Action Agency Can Take Toward Establishing a COVID-19 Contact Tracing and Resource Coordination Program
- Interested in supporting this effort? Take this survey to indicate your interest!
- Survey Link: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/contact-tracing
- DUE: Thursday, May 7, 2020
Our National Partners also provide guidance and updates on COVID 19 impact on Community Action Agencies.